Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Saturday September 15, 2012

Today I hiked Cannon ( 4,100'), this was my second attempt at climbing this peak. I had driven out to try it last weekend but thunderstorms were headed into the area and the entire peak was in a black cloud and the winds were over 50 mph. So I returned today to try again. The trail up to the top was fairly easy and the cool temperatures helped. The mileage was only 4.4 round trip and I was able to make it up and down in less than 3 hours.
Cannon was home to the Old Man of the Mountain until it fell off in May of 2003, I remember on family vacations looking through on of those machines that you put the quarter in to see farther and looking at that landmark. The machines are still there and you can still see a great view of the entire Franconia Range. I am used to being at the top of a peak with only a handful of people around. There is a Tram to the top of Cannon, so to my surprise there were alot of people at the top when I got there and the clouds parted just long enough for all to get a view of the amazing Layfayette Ridge across the highway.
This peak I would like to dedicate to Mitch Gart who died 1/19/2012 

There was a quote on a stone bench at the top of Cannon that read:
" If you love someone...tell them
Most importantly stay close to your friends
 Let it make a difference in your day and theirs"

No comments:

Post a Comment