Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Saturday September 1, 2012

 
  I had last week off for a very nice vacation in Squaw Valley and Napa Valley, California and came back with only a little bit of jet lag. This weekend was a special one for me and my close friends Ed and Jane MacKenzie and their family. Also joining us were Kathy ( Jane's sister), Erin and Emma, Richard and of course...Riley. Riley is the sweetest dog I have ever met. As a puppy she lost a leg and is still the best little hiker. She hiked 3 peaks with us this past Saturday. We hiked Mt Monroe ( 5,372'), Mt Eisenhower ( 4760') and Pierce ( 4,312') for a total of 10.1 miles. It was misty and cloudy when we headed out and we were actually in a cloud when we reached the top of Monroe. I was thinking that I just wanted it to be a beautiful day as we were dedicating this hike to Wayne Harris who is the Mackenzie's brother-in law. I wanted it to be a special day for his dedication. Just as I thought this the clouds parted and you could see the top of Washington and as we moved across towards Eisenhower it completely cleared and was gorgeous. It was as if God heard my request. We made our way across Eisenhower and onto Pierce. We almost missed Pierce as the signage was not good. Thank you Richard for keeping us on track and saving us from having to go a long way back. We finished the day at the Mt Washington Hotel for a toast with all our friends. This hike we are dedicating to Wayne Harris, OT who is this years Evening of Hope Spirit Award recipiant and beloved family of the MacKenzie's. I had the pleasure to hear Wayne speak at the MDA/ALS dinner and his passion and humor brought us all to tears. It was an honor to hike with you in mind today.

No comments:

Post a Comment