Thursday, October 18, 2012

Saturday October 13, 2012

 



 

 Today my friends Richard and Ed helped me tackle Mt Washington. At 6,288ft it is the tallest of the 48 and the "home of the world's worst weather".  I have hiked Mt Washington many times in the past but I have never hiked it in the snow and ice...so this was definitely a new experience. I knew from my hike the day before that we would need winter gear and microspikes to be able to negotiate the icy terrain. So Richard picked us up 3 pairs of spikes on his way up Friday night. When we started out the temps were in the 30's with sunny skies and a light breeze. We met many others along the way up the trail... Matt and his grandfather who hike Washington evey year in rememberence of his great grandfather. His grandfather is still quite the hiker at age 70. I hope I am as fit at his age. The weather stayed good as we made our way past the icy headwall in Tuckerman ravine. As we made our way to the top of the bowl...the clouds came in and the winds picked up until eventually we were in the cloud with no visibility and winds 50-90 miles/hour with temps minus 6 degrees at the summit. I will admit that I have not felt this tired on any of the other hikes. The wind and the cold took their toll.  We were all thankful to make it to the top and get in out of the cold and wind for a bit. Richard was trying to make me feel better on the way up by telling me that we would just take the bus down. Since the road is now covered with snow and ice...we would be waiting until spring for the bus...but it did help me to hear it at the time. Besides if we took the bus down we wouldn't have been able to try out our microspikes...which made the hike down very fun! So glad we got them. We did come across a few people throughout the day who I hope made it down ok. One guy was hiking in sneakers and  jeans with nothing but a green grocery bag over his shoulders and two other of guys who spoke only french were trying to go down the wrong side of the mountain in cotton hoodie sweatshirts. Every time I hike this mountain I gain more respect for it... it's power and wonder. Thanks to Richard and Ed for coming along for this great adventure. They were the perfect duo for this trip! I would like to dedicate this hike to Barbara Caldwell. When I asked her ( months ago now) which peak she would like dedicated to her...she asked if Washington was taken...as she had always liked that one and it is the tallest. Barbara, we hiked this one in your honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment