Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Saturday June 30th






Well this weekend was a big weekend in my journey...the biggest so far. Three of my friends and I set out to do Owl's Head mountain in the Pemigewasset Wilderness. It is only 4,025 feet. But what it lacks for in height and scenery it makes up for in length of time and mileage. In order to get to the trail that takes you up the actual mountain, we needed to hike 8 miles in, then 1 mile straight up and then all the way back out again for 18.2 miles total. Along the way we had to negotiate over 7 river crossings. The first 2 we made it through without incident, the third one Rick had his boots fall in the river and he had to hike the remaining 12 miles of the day in wet boots. The fourth river I fell in and the fifth claimed Susie. Hilary made it through the day without falling in the river but I think she ended up with the biggest blister at the end of the day. There were several funny moments along the way...meeting up with the man with spandex shorts who declared "this mountain sucks!" and getting to the top only to find out that that wasn't the only top. The hiking book describes Owl's Head as being "everything a mountain should not be." I disagree, there were some great views from the slides and although it was the most difficult thing I have done so far it taught me how strong we are and how much you can achieve when you set your mind to it. Every hike I take time to count my many blessings. My three friends in this hike are at the top of that list... I couldn't have done it without them and they were the perfect crew to have on this particular adventure! I dedicate this hike to George M. His story is the best example I have seen of patience, family and love.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see Susie and Rick here :) Love the celebratory blowing of the bubbles too!

    ReplyDelete