Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Saturday July 21-Sunday July 22,2012



 This edition of the Blog should probably be titled " Barbie Goes to the Bonds". I am a city girl who usually does not leave home without my makeup and curling iron. Who would have thought I would be camping in the middle of the wilderness...certainly not me. But I did and survived just fine. This weekend we climbed 7 peaks in the Pemigwassett Wilderness: Galehead ( 4,024'), South Twin ( 4,902'), North Twin ( 4,761'), West Bond ( 4,540'), Bond ( 4,698'), Bondcliff ( 4, 265') and Zealand ( 4260'). We hiked a total of 23.4 miles over 2 fun filled days. I would not have been able to do this trip without a lot of help! I would like to send a special thank you to Richard, his son: Steven, Ed and his son Andrew and daughter Erin. The guys carried up all the tents, stoves, food, wine etc... The weight of their packs was ridiculous but they made it look easy! This is the first time I have had to carry a full pack for an over night hike and it definitely added a whole other level of difficulty. I will admit that it was a struggle at times. It felt so good at the places were we could drop the packs and climb up a peak without the added weight. Richard and Steven have done this hike before and were such a huge help knowing where to go, where to get water, set up camp etc... There were several highlights of the trip for me. The first one came at the third peak. We came across a woman named Katie who is also a PT and works at Maine Medical. She heard about the fundraising we were doing for CCALS and right then and there gave me a donation as did her friend. I was extremely touched that out there in the middle of nowhere everyone we met was so supportive.  The second was after we got to our campsite and set up camp, we then headed up to the top of West Bond to cook dinner and watch the sunset. There were a fair amount of people up there cooking dinner and they were doing the same as us...taking it all in. The third highlight came the next day when we woke up (none too early) and headed over to Bond and Bondclliff. The view and the feeling you get up there it like nothing I have ever seen or experienced before. You are standing on a cliff high above everything looking out over mountain after mountain. It is the most beautiful, most awe insipring experience I have had. I am so grateful for having this journey and being able to share it with such great friends. We were blessed with good weather, plenty of laughs and eveyone stayed healthy. I couldn't have asked for more. I would like to dedicate this weekend to: Karen Langford, Mike Beradi, Zee Crocker, Danice Smith, Sam Lionetto, Alvin Payne and Jennifer Rosado.

No comments:

Post a Comment