Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Saturday May 12th


 I joined an online hiking group to meet some new friends and to spread the word about by hiking fundraising for CCALS. This past weekend I hiked with the 4,000 footers Meet up group. They were very nice and welcoming to this new comer and offered up lots of information to help me achieve my goal of completing the 48 peaks. They all have far more hiking experience than I do and have done many more peaks. I  worried if I would be able to keep up but I did just fine and surprised myself. We headed out at 8:30 am and made our way 3.2 miles to the top of Whiteface (4020 ft) on Blueberry Ledges trail. "Whiteface" is a referrence to the prominent cliff on the south slope of the mountain and the ledges towards the top offered some fun bouldering and scrammbling to get to the top. It was another beautiful day and although the black flies are now out in full force they were kept at bay by a steady breeze. We then made our way another 3.2 miles over the Rollins trail over to Mt Passaconaway ( 4043 ft). Mt Passaconaway is named after a Penacook Tribe chief and means " Son of the Bear". The actual " peak" of each summit is in the woods with no view to speak of but there were several look out ledges with beautiful views of  Mt. Chocorua. It was then another 4.6 miles back to the car for a total of 11 miles for the day. So far I have hiked 47.6 miles over 9 peaks and counting!  I would like to dedicate Mt. Whiteface to Bob Mendenhaul who worked at the Montesori schools and was an Erudite musician. And I would like to dedicate Mt. Passaconaway to Sean Lucey who was a dear friend of CCALS and passed away Nov 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment